Welcome to Galloway!
This page contains links to information that you will need as a new family at The Galloway School until new parents have access to the Parent Portal after July 20.
If you have questions, here are your key contacts :
- Early Learning Administrative Assistant Suzanne Decker x108
- Middle Learning Administrative Assistant Kristin Wold x141
- Upper Learning Administrative Assistant Jeanne Martinez x102
- Key School Contacts during summer
- Major Dates 2018-19
- First Day of School: Save the Date for Wednesday, August 15
Orientation for each level will be held either on Monday, August 13 or Tuesday, August 14. Early Learning orientation will also include classroom visits. Detailed schedules will be included in the School Launch Packet that is sent to families in late July.
- The Parent Portal
The Parent Portal is accessed from gallowayschool.org. Your login will be the same login that you use for MyBackpack. However, your ability to log in will not be active until we complete our software rollover in early July. The Parent Portal is where you will go to access the School Launch Packet and other important documents and forms.
- School Launch Packet
We used to mail home a big packet of information that parents and students needed for the start of the school year. We've now gone paperless, and all of the information will be posted on the online Galloway Parent Portal. Be on the look out in late July for an email from Galloway alerting you that the School Launch Packet is available for public view. Class lists, supply lists, carpool information, handbooks and much more will be available.
- Online Family Directory
The online Family Directory is available in MyBackpack. Any Galloway parent has access to it and can use it to search current families by grade, zip code, name, and class. Here's a quick how-to on using the directory. New families' information will be added to the directory after July 1.
- Middle Learning
New to ML students will all receive an email from Assistant Principal Candace Bell in the coming weeks explaining the process for registration. For 5th and 6th graders, schedules are assigned, though they will have an opportunity to choose from French or Spanish. For 7th and 8th graders, core classes are assigned (Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, Pre-Algebra (7th grade) or Algebra (8th grade)). 7th and 8th grade students will pick from French, Latin, and Spanish for their World Language and also will be able to choose from a variety of elective options the first week of school to complete their seven period schedule. Grade level daily schedules will be available on the Portal in August.
- Upper Learning: Information about UL class registration (this is a link to a Google Doc, which includes additional links for course registration.)
- Summer reading: Welcome to Galloway, a place where all readers are welcome. A LibGuide to all summer reading for grades 4-12 can be found here. Please note that not all books will be listed; UL choices have been shared with our students, but titles for grades 4-8 have not been revealed to students yet. Stay tuned for this information to publish via this link in late May, along with summer reading assignments for ML students.
- New ML Students: New ML parents should have received a copy of their child’s required reading book(s) during the welcome event on May 3. Students will reconvene in the fall and discuss books. Please read the LibGuide closely to determine any assignments and additional readings for your child’s grade level. This information will publish in late May.
- New UL Students: UL summer reading clubs selections are published as of right now on the LibGuide. UL students will receive a $15 Barnes and Noble gift card during the welcome event to purchase one personal choice from this list. They will also receive a time-sensitive email survey to indicate their chosen book. It is important that students fill out this email survey promptly so teachers know which new students will be joining their summer book club! All UL students will meet with their book club at the start of school and connect with peers through discussion. Thanks and happy reading!
- Summer camps take place at Galloway for 10 weeks this summer, with a wide variety of themes and activities available for children 3-14.
- New parent ambassador contacts and summer get-togethers:
- Early Learning will have Lemonade Day and other grade-level meetups. Parent Ambassadors will be in touch with you about specific dates.
- Middle Learning and Upper Learning Parent Ambassadors will organize get-togethers between new and current students during the summer and will be in touch with individual families about dates.
- Parents Association/Great Scots providing a look at upcoming dates when you can get involved with the Galloway community through some fantastic events.
- Athletics Registration
Fall sports signups can be found online now for Middle Learning softball, boys soccer, cross country, and volleyball, and Upper Learning cross country, softball and volleyball. Information about registration for fall Jr. Scots (K - grade 6) will be included in the School Launch Packet.
Information about after school registration for Early and Middle Learning will be included with the School Launch Packet.
- Galloway Spirit Wear
Special-order Nike brand Galloway spirit wear is available until May 14. Here's the information on how to order.