Student Life Internships offer an opportunity for Upper Learning students to engage in meaningful learning experiences within the Galloway community. Working these “intra-ships” serves two purposes: it gives UL students the opportunity to give back to their school, whether in a classroom as an assistant or working on a project with our Development office. These hands on experiences give students the opportunity to learn new skills and display talents in settings beyond the classroom. The 2014-2015 school year was the pilot year for internship opportunities, but the interest and enthusiasm from the students and faculty/staff was unsurpassed. A few sample internship opportunities:
- Interns with the Communications Office edited copy and helped gather information for publications.
- Interns with the Development Office worked on special projects with the alumni association and special events.
- Interns at the Welcome Desk became the face of the school as they greeted visitors and managed the phone lines each day.
- Interns with the Student Life Office managed the social media sites and coordinated student shadow visits.
- Interns with the Early Learning PE teacher assisted in kinetic movement instruction.
- Interns with the Library created a mobile app for access to the full catalog and resources.
The 2015-2016 school year brings exciting expansion to the program with external intern possibilities for Juniors and Seniors, in addition to our in house positions.
Students will have an opportunity to receive credit while shadowing and working in a local business. This program is open to all Juniors and Seniors. Students will work with the economics instructor and will be placed in a business based on the student's interest, and availability. Students will be required to meet with other Internship students and the teacher each week. We are very excited to offer this unique and experiential program to students as they learn real about business in the real world.